Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Book Art

I surprisingly enjoyed the exhibition, and the unique approach the simple things of life some of this artist had.
My favorite piece was Tatana kellner, Fifty Years of Silence 1992.


What I liked about this piece was how effective it was; I didn't have to even read the description to know what it was about and get emotional.
My favorite ones were all the Pop Up books, this were my favorites growing up and even today they are as effective getting my attention. This is very impresive if we take in consideration how old this book form is. "Other early examples of movable books were the Paper Doll Books produced by London publisher S. & J. Fuller beginning in 1810; the "toilet book," and an early example of a lift-the-flap book, first illustrated and published by the artist William Grimaldi in the 1820s; and peep-show books. Little or nothing is known of the origin of the peep-shows but they appear to have evolved from the traveling exhibits that showmen featured at fairs and festivals. They were often quite elaborate constructions depicting scenes from famous stories or topical events and were viewed through a small hole in the cover.
The first true movable books published in any large quantity were those produced by Dean & Son, a publishing firm founded in London before 1800. By the 1860s the company claimed to be the originator of childrens' movable books in which characters can be made to move and act in accordance with the incidents described in each story." From the mid-19th century Dean turned its attention to the production of movable books and between the 1860s and 1900 they produced about fifty titles"
Some of the ones I like the best were:

Lois Morrison
, Endangered Species 1999




Carol Barton
, Five Luminous Towers 2001

But the biggest question I had was: Can we read them?
They were all beautiful but I saw many intricate folds, prints, cuts and fabrics and I could not imagine seating to read one of this books!

No comments:

Post a Comment