Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Artist Statement-Lili Kligman-Roitman

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.

Since I realized I wasn't meant to be a person who can draw or paint, my passion has always been video. Six years ago, I decided to pursue my Bachelor's Degree in Television and Video Production at Emerson College, because I realized that was the only medium that was liberating my creativity. From there, I started doing more of experimental videos, one example could be 'Love at First Brush,' a montage about a complicated and wild-love story between the toothbrush and the mouth.





However, for some reason, maybe because I love the genres of sci-fi and horror, or just because I enjoy over-analyzing everything in life, I've found myself using the themes of life, death and reincarnation in most of my videos. In 'Waiting', a digital video montage I did using some interesting color effects during post-production and green screen during production, I explored the storyline of a woman who descends from heaven into the ocean, only to become flesh again, and goes searching for the soul of her past lover. The only conflict she has, is that the soul of her past lover has embodied another human being, who is in love with another girl. The woman who descends from heaven takes journeys into parallel worlds.

"Waiting"




When I started taking the Time-Based Media class (as part of my Master's Degree program at Northeastern University), I realized that I can examine the aforementioned subjects using photography. Now, I personally only believe in Heaven, what is called Hell, doesn't exist. Nevertheless, in my Interactive Book, called 'Divine Soul', I decided to re-create Dante's "Divine Comedy" and the three worlds of the afterlife he describes ( Paradise, Purgatory and Hell) using my many photographs of ice. The intended idea was to use the subject, ice, as the representation of the soul. For some reason I became fascinated with the idea that a simple cube of ice can have so many meanings, besides what it really is. Here are some screenshots of 'Divine Soul'


Purgatory:



Hell:



In the Jewish religion, it is believed that when a person dreams about a loved one who passed away, it is because that loved one is visiting the dreamer. That is the beauty of dreams, anything can happen and that anything can sometimes feel more real than life itself. The influence in my artistic view comes also from dreams, and who else can know more about dreams than the master Salvador Dali? For many years I have been in love with Dali's artwork. He is best known as one of the main artist from the Surrealist movement starting in the mid-1920's after experimenting with the cultural movement known as Dada or Dadaism.

"The Persistence of Memory" (Painting, 1931)




On the other hand, I also feel strongly passionate about the artwork created by M.C. Escher. Mr. Escher was a Dutch-Firsian graphic artist in the 1930s-1960s who was known for his mathematically inspired lithographs, woodcuts and mezzotints. What irrigates my interest in his artwork, is the impossible constructions and designs that challenges infinity. It's like dreaming, where nothing is what it seems to be.

"Relativity" (Lithograph, 1953)




In the future I would like to keep doing experimental videos implementing other forms of media, such as graphic design, photography and possibly being able to translate all the ideas that inspired me into art installations. I want to be able to take my audience INSIDE my dreams and thoughts, and not "push" them away with a screen. And in this journey so far I have learned many lessons, the most important one is to never apologize for your art, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

No comments:

Post a Comment