Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Artist statement Mariam

I am attracted to image either in photograph or video. I like to use this kind of media to express my self and also to tell histories. For me, photography is magical because you kept immortal what your object is and also because instead of using charcoal or any kind of media to paint you used the light.

I have a background as a journalist and as I said I am attracted to any kind of image, either in video or photography. And I like to use this kind of media to express myself and to tell histories. My influences in photography are Sebastiao Salgado, a Brazilian photojournalist and Ansel Adams.

When I took a picture or made any angle from the camera I try to give another point of view different from the one we are used to have. I like to find forms that you never see at first or to compose images with common elements in order to create a unique piece.






For this class I created one picture that is the reflection of a tree in the puddle. The time was during the fall so you can see the leaves above the puddle. The picture recreates the tree with its leaves that were place not in the tree but in the puddle.


Based on that picture the second assignment was to do a transformation of that picture. At first I tried to find places that have any kind of reflections, puddles, pools, windows and so but I did not find any kind of transformation. So I took pictures of trees with no leaves at all and I made a composition based on 6 pictures that are connected to each other and basically I used the same object.  And there you have my book art.

No comments:

Post a Comment