Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Artist_Statement





I visited the Axiom gallery which was in Jamaica Plain. Since I live in the area the gallery in itself a winner. Walking into the gallery I saw a few admirers of works put on show but even more security guards and custodians in the area too. I also saw a host  of security camera's around the artwork which diminished all hope of getting a picture. This was further confirmed as a custodian reprimanded me as soon as I brought out my phone. 

So I left the area void of any physical evidence but more the impressions that I got from viewing one art work in particular. This piece was a painting recreated with modern features of an older work. Both have the same vibe and portrayal of an incident at sea. In this case the original painting had the theme of impending doom for fellow sailors at sea, and the storm thats headed their way. The recreated scene was the same only it was modern day in a shipping vessel that is about to undergo a certain doom. 

The reactions vary from each other but the vibe, the feeling both of these works exude are similar. To me right there was the only painting that mattered. My work so far has been based more of an experiment on audience reactions by taking few techniques from already existing works. My work is more of a recreation of using ideas of standard methods and non standard and making an amalgam of these techniques and gauging the reaction of the audience.  So far I have done mostly old comedy routines but I am now looking into making other emotional areas such as: fear, sadness. The work will not necessarily be recreated into another video but on whatever medium can actually describe the work the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment